this page can be found at: fdfd
skip to content

Research Tool For Use With Brookhaven Town Cemetery 
This list was originally compiled by Osborn Shaw, Brookhaven Town Historian, somewhere between 1938 -1939.  
....

Communities

Cemeteries as Numbered within this list by Community

 

 

 

 

 

 

Patchogue

5 - 5A - 5B - 60 - 61 - 88 - 102 - 111

5

Former churchyard of the Patchogue Union Church and later extended into the old Patchogue Village Cemetery on the east side of Waverly Avenue, PATCHOGUE. It is west of "Lake View Cemetery" (Cem.5a) and north of the so-called Rice Cemetery (Cem.5b) and separated from these two cemeteries by a wire and iron fence. At the time of making this copy, it was in such bad condition that, while every effort was made to read every stone, one or two may have been overlooked. It contains many unmarked and unknown graves.

5a

"Lake View Cemetery", sometimes called the "Episcopal Cemetery" (title of which is said to have been vested in St. Paul's Episcopal Church by Ruth Newey Smith), west of and adjoining property of the Patchogue-Plymouth lace mill, PATCHOGUE. In this Cem. is the Ruth Newey Smith monument with hundreds of names and dates of the descendants of John Smith of Coram, and from which many of the dates in this record are taken, some allowance being made for known errors. These names are indicated by M5a.

5b

The so-called "Rice Cemetery" on the north side of Montauk Highway" (Route 27), a short distance west of the Patchogue Plymouth lace mill, and adjoining on the west Cem.Sa, laid out in 1871 and donated by Miss Rachel Rice to the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island, PATCHOGUE.

60

Smith private graveyard, on old Smith property, now a part of the Durkee estate, about 100 feet or more from the end of a driveway starting at a point about 3/8 of a mile south of the South Country Road (Route 27A), on the west side of the private road running opposite the residence of Louis W. Smith to the barnyard on the Durkee estate, EAST PATCHOGUE. In this graveyard is a wooden marker, with its inscription obliterated of a Civil War veteran, said to be that of" some Harry" Smith.

61

"Cedar Grove" Cemetery, PATCHOGUE, on the east side of West Lake ("Lace Mill Pond") and west of Jennings Avenue at the west end of Cedar Grove Street, Patchogue. This cemetery is controlled by the Cedar Grove Cemetery Association, formed 3 May 1875 and opened by dedication ceremonies 24 Oct. 1875, therefore it is evident that any stones bearing death dates prior to this date, have been moved in from other cemeteries.

88

Wicks private graveyard, northeast corner of the field, back of the house and barnyard on the old Joel Wicks farm, on the east side of North Ocean Avenue and southeast of Canaan Lake, NORTH PATCHOGUE.

102

Former Ananias Smith private graveyard, about 100 feet east of Grove Avenue, and about 150 feet north of the present (1939) barn of Emmett Clark Smith, PATCHOGUE. The bones of those buried in this graveyard were moved about 1915 to Cem. 61, and a monument erected on which were copied all the names and dates found on the old tombstones. About three or four of the old stones are still in various places on Mr. Smith's property.

110

The former Roe and Miller families private graveyard, south of Lakewood Street, between Patchogue Lake and "Big Cove", PATCHOGUE. It is possible that the south end of the present Shore Road passes over about the site of this graveyard. All the stones from this graveyard have been removed to "Cedar Grove Cemetery", Cem. 61, Patchogue.

111

Catholic Cemetery, on west side of, and adjoining, Patchogue Lake, at the east end of Second Street leading east from Waverly Avenue, PATCHOGUE.

Bellport

17 - 18 - 20 - 28

17

Woodruff private graveyard, on the north of the South Country Road, (Route 27A), and a little distance north and back of the barn on the Hoyt estate, in eastern part of BELLPORT.

18

Col. William Howell private graveyard, on the west side of North Howell's Point Road, in the rear of the home of Frederick Jones, BELLPORT.

20

Old Bellport Cemetery, on the west side of Academy Lane, opposite the home of Miss Lily M. Hubert, BELLPORT. There are a number of unmarked graves in this cemetery. Nearly all of the stones once in this cemetery have been removed to Cemetery 28.

28

Woodland Cemetery in the north part of Bellport, on the west side of the Station Road, BELLPORT. The first burial in this cemetery was that of Irene, wife of John Robinson, who died 19 July 1869. It is therefore evident that any stones in this cemetery with death dates prior to this date, have been moved in from other graveyards. Names and dates on the Civil War Monument, in the centre of the cemetery, are given in this record as M28.

Brookhaven

16 - 19 - 21 - 29 - 30 - 32 - 33 - 39 - 51 - 55 - 81

16

David Hawkins private graveyard, about 500 feet north of the railroad track and about a mile east of Brookhaven railroad station BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE.

19

"King David" Hulse private graveyard, on the west side of Fireplace Neck Road, nearly opposite the school house, BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE.

21

"Brookhaven Village Cemetery", incorporated in 1890 or 1892 as Oak Lawn Cemetery, some little distance north of that part of Montauk Highway (Route 27) commonly called Robinson Boulevard, and in the rear of the home of Robert Lyons, Sr., BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE. Note: To avoid any misunderstanding because of the Town and Village having the same name, the old name, "Fireplace" will always be used in this record to designate the village.

29

Barteau private graveyard, about 1/8 mile east of "Snow's Corner" (Yaphank Avenue) adjoining the land of A. H. Rodde, and then about 200 feet north of Montauk (State) Highway, BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE. Some of the stones from this graveyard have been removed to Cem. 22, Yaphank.

30

Rose private graveyard in Corrigan-Tiger nursery, originally Rose property, south of Beaver Dam Road, between nursery blocks marked 12 and 13, BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE. Early members of the Rose family, who died in the first half of the 18th century, probably sleep in this graveyard in unmarked graves.

32

Miller private graveyard on the old Dr. Nathaniel Miller estate, anc in the field some little distance from the old homestead, now (1939) owned and occupied by George Miller, east of the BROOKHAVEN village post office.

33

Corwin private graveyard, in the northeast corner of the second lcgt about 1000 feet back of the Presbyterian Chapel, and on that part of the old Corwin property, now (1939) owned by Desmond Nelson, north of Chapel Street, BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE.

39

Nathaniel Hawkins private graveyard, about 600 feet south of Montauk Highway (Route 27) and about 30 rods southeast of Snow's Corner, or the intersection of Yaphank Avenue and Montauk (State) Highway (Rout 27), BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE. In this cemetery are a number of unmarked graves, besides those noted in this record, and one or two with common field stones for markers.

51

The former old Fireplace Methodist Cemetery, once on the property now the barnyard of the late James H. Post, on the east side of the Fish Road, near the South Country Road (Route 27A), BROOKHAVEN village. All of the stones from this cemetery have been removed, some to Cem. 21 and some to Cem. 28.

55

The former Post private graveyard, on the Burnett place, once owned by the Post family, on the north side of Beaver Dam Road, BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE. The stones from this graveyard were moved to Cem. 20, and are now (1939) in Cem. 28.

81

Azel Hawkins private graveyard, in the edge of the woods, on the rear of his home property, now (1939) owned by the Thomas I. Morrow, Sr., estate, and about 450 feet directly back of the residence of Mrs. Thomas I. Morrow, Sr. on the north side of Beaver Dam Road, FIREPLACE.

Blue Point

116

115

Former Avery private graveyard, on the west side of Namkee Road, about 1/8 mile north of the turn of "Middle Road" northwest of the Suydam property, BLUE POINT. All the stones from this graveyard were moved to the Blue Point Cemetery - Cem. 116, prior to the cutting through of Namkee Road through the old Avery farm.

116

The Blue Point Cemetery, formerly the Methodist burying ground, in the rear of the Blue Point Fire Department, and north of Bennett's greenhouse property, BLUE POINT. The entrance to this cemetery is through a narrow land on the east side of Blue Point Avenue, Blue Point.

 

Isolated Burial Sites Not In the Cemeteries Listing

 

1

Tombstone in the hedgerow adjoining the land of John Sives, some little distance north, northeast of and back of the Rose Steckle Sliter house, opposite the Methodist Church, Brookhaven village. There are said to be about 8 unmarked graves besides the one note, in this record.

 

7

Tombstone on the south side of the South Country Road, (Route 27a), near the entrance of the Hoyt estate, Bellport.

 

8

Tombstone on the Cook estate in the hedgerow near the boundary line between the Cook and Hoyt estates, west of the house, Bellport. Besides the one stone noted in this record, there are said to be 1 or 2 unmarked graves of his children.

 

9

Tombstone on the former Seaman property, now (1939) owned by Presto Smith and back of the old Mary Seaman house, near Fireplace Creek Brookhaven Village.

 

10

Three tombstones on the Carman-Lush property in the rear of the lat residence of Edgar Homan, now (1939) rented by Harold Bubb at Squassux, Brookhaven Village.

 

11

Two tombstones formerly on property of the late Charles B. Hawkins, West Bellport. They are now (1939) in Woodland Cemetery 28, Bell.

 

12

Two tombstones in hedgerow, south of the former chicken farm of John Bond, southeast of the Tiger Corrigan nursery and about 300 feet east of Mott Lane, Brookhaven Village.

 

17

Three tombstones in the southeast corner of the old Rider place, tat owned by the Booth family at Squassux and directly north of the barnyard of Alan G. Baker on the south side of Beaver Dam Road, Brookhaven village.

 

28

Two graves without stones about 50 feet west of the northwest cornea of Atlantic Avenue and South Main Street (or the Middle Road) along the north side of the road and about under the present road gutter Blue Point. These graves are traditionally those of 2 Revolutionary soldiers, or of 2 members of the "Whig John" Smith family.

       

Cemeteries continued from first part (not listed by town but it appears that they should be included(AJR’s note):

 

45

Former Baker private graveyard, west of Jennings Avenue, south of Lakewood Street, near or adjoining "Big Cove" and bounded on the south by the present north line of Cedar Grove Cemetery-Cem. 61, PATCHOGUE. The present Cedar Grove Street passes over a part or all of this graveyard, all the stones from which are now in Cem. 61.

 

53

 

The former Hedges and Osborn private graveyard, northwest of the home of the late William B. Hedges, on the old Hedges farm, now a part of the Miramar property, (1939), north of the South Country Road, (Route 27A), East Patchogue. All the stones from this graveyard have been removed to Cem. 28 and Cem. 61.

54

The former Overton private graveyard, on the old Overton farm, north of the South Country Road (Route 27A), WEST BELLPORT. The stones from this graveyard have been removed to Cem. 28.

56

The former Munsell private graveyard, on the north end of the land of the late George Munsell, now (1939) owned by his daughter, Mrs. Gussie Weidner, opposite the Bellport Country Club, BELLPORT.

57

The former Hurtin private graveyard, north of the South Country Road (Route 27A), and about 300 feet back of the site of the former East Patchogue post office and store of the late Augustus F. Smith, near where his son, Louis W. Smith now (1939) lives, East PATCHOGUE. The Stones from this graveyard have been removed to Patchogue.

58

The former Robinson private graveyard, on the old Joseph Robinson property, about 300 feet north of the South Country Road (Route 27A), back of the shed and adjoining the west line of the land now (1939) owned by Everett Hiscox, EAST PATCHOGUE. The stones from this graveyard have been removed to Cem. 61, Patchogue.

59

The former Roe private graveyard, near the southwest corner of Roe Avenue and Glenwood Street, on that part of the old Roe property, now (1939) a part of the estate of the late Abraham Lincoln Saxton, Pine Neck, East Patchogue, All the stones from this graveyard have been removed to Cem.61 - PATCHOGUE.

96

Former Ketcham private graveyard, on that part of the property formerly owned by Scudder Ketcham, later by Timothy Ketcham; now (1939) owned by Desmond Nelson, and about where his garage stands, Fireplace. (BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE) The inscriptions on the old stones were copied on a monument placed in Cem. 28, Bellport. The stones were then removed and stored in a building near the road, on that part of the property now owned by Jacob Valentine. When the building later was used as a shop, they were thrown out and have since gradually disappeared.

52

The former Rose private graveyard on, or adjoining, the land now owned by the Brookhaven Library, on the north side of Beaver Dam Road, BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE. All the stones from this graveyard have been removed to Cem. 21.

 


levitra 10mg 12 stück preisvergleich levitra kaufen per überweisung buy elocon cream 100g buy-nolvadex.com priser på cialis køb af viagra i tyskland cialis aangeboden verkooppunten viagra er det lov å bestille viagra på nett wat kost levitra where can i buy viagra in copenhagen verkooppunt viagra was kosten viagra in deutschland kamagra te koop klik op kamagra